New Year’s Resolutions and Goals.
Every January you make resolutions and goals. This is going to be the year of less stress, eating better, exercising more. You start out strong. Then life happens. Your resolve starts to wane. The next thing you know you are cramming a fast food meal into your mouth five minutes before a stressful, high-profile project is due while your shiny new gym membership card gathers dust. How can you make this year different? Is there a way to create New Year’s resolutions that will stick? Yes!
We have some tips for you to think about before setting those goals.
- Set clear and measurable goals. Is exercise on your resolution list? If so, be specific on how many days, when and how you will work on your resolution. For example, “I will exercise 3 times a week, 30 minutes each time.”
- Make your resolutions and goals attainable. If you have a huge sweet tooth, is it realistic to think you will give up desserts forever? Instead, resolve to enjoy a piece of fruit at most meals, but allow yourself dessert several times a week, so you do not feel deprived and give up.
- Choose one to three resolutions to begin. Don’t set yourself up for failure as behavior changes take time and effort. Pick the top goals so you can achieve success.
- Break down your goal into steps. Do you want to lose a lot of weight? Focus on losing it in ten-pound increments rather than the full amount. Take it one step at a time and adjust as needed. Check in on your progress quarterly.
- Talk about it! Share your goals and successes with friends and family. It holds you accountable, and others can help support your efforts.
- Plan for setbacks. Realize that you are not perfect. Did you fall off the wagon and eat way too much pizza this weekend? Forgive yourself, move on and make sure you do better at the next meal. Do not allow one setback to cause you to give up the goal entirely.
- Reward yourself. As you reach goals and milestones, be sure to acknowledge your achievements!
So get ready to toast the New Year! This is going to be the year. Think about the goals most important to you and set yourself up for success. Remember to ask for help if you need it.
Workplace Solutions EAP is a proud member of the Tandem Family of Companies. Employee Assistance Program services boost employee personal and professional productivity through free and confidential work-life, financial and legal resources. If you are an employer looking to provide this affordable and valuable benefit to your employees, contact us today at 630.468.9286.